Thursday, August 20, 2009

Congratulations?

Lately, it seems as if EVERYONE at home is either engaged, married, or prego. Now, I myself don't plan on doing either of these things for a few years (post undergrad at least) so, now when I'm home it seems as if I'm behind in life or something. However, when I'm back at school things seem normal again. Now, I am thrilled for every single one of my friends, but let's take some things into consideration:

  1. We are only 19! This is not the time to be settling down. These are our bachelorette/bachelor fun years that we should be enjoying. I do not have time to hear excuses about you spending time or doing things for your fiancee'/hubby/baby when we could be out having fun.
  2. You are now in a different chapter in your life. Ex: Wives hang out with other wives and moms hang out with other moms. Since I am neither right now this limits our time together. Yes, this sounds selfish, but I don't want to lose a great friend.
  3. I'm pretty sure the divorce rate is higher than the marriage rate here, and I don't want you to end up divorced!...or like Jon and Kate!
  4. Are we really ready to have kids? Physically, emotionally, and finacially? If not please use protection. After all, everyone wants the best for their child, and babies are expensive.
  5. This one is selfish too, but I simply can not afford to buy all of these gifts that I would love to get everyone right now.

Like I said before I am not bashing any of the life styles that my friends have chosen, and I happy for them and the new chapter of their lives. I'm just simply saying that at 19 I am not worried about finding the one or starting a family right now. I am only worried about finishing my degree and starting my career. Getting married and having a baby is a blessing, and I can say congratulations, but deep down I can't help but think, 'Wow, she's getting married, or omg she's prego! It seems as if just a year ago we were fresh out of high school (wait, that was a year ago).' I guess this just how life is and will simply have to accept it, because it's not like I have any other choice.

To all my friends I wish you the best of luck, and congratulations!

Much love!

No comments:

Post a Comment