So today I went and got my hair relaxed, and while I was there this white woman walked in to get her mixed daughter's hair hilighted. The daughter was only about 11 years old, and the white woman told us that she took care of her three nieces as well age 10, 7, and 4. Now, what shocked me was the fact that she was relaxing all four of the girl's hair. To be honest, I didn't even know that people were relaxing 4-year-old's hair until I was watching an episode of The Tyra Show titled What Is Good Hair? According to Tyra, in the African-American community, "good hair" often refers to hair that's not kinky, coarse or short.
It's amazing how this whole "good hair" thing had become such a big controversy. I remember when I was a child girls talked about what good hair was and who had it and who didn't, and no one seemed to make a huge fuss then. However, has "good hair" become a little too extreme? Today a large percentage of black women have a relaxer, or a weave, or a wig that they wear to make their hair look nicer/fuller/longer/straighter. It seems as if sometimes hair is everything. I remember when I first cut my hair short the first reaction I got from people was, "You cut your hair! Why?" And I thought why not, it's hair and it grows back. I was just tired of having longer hair like I did when I was a child and wanted something different. Another time while at school a girl was looking at my hair and said to me, "Oh your hair was cut short like that." All I was thinking was, 'Yes it was cut like this. I am not bald-headed; I have nice hair!'
Chris Rock has made a documentary titled Good Hair, in theaters October 9, 2009, because his daughter asked him why she didn't have good hair. I can't wait to see this movie, and I think many people will stop and think about what "good hair" really is, or if there is even such a thing as "good hair" anymore. This film is already making an impact on some, including Tyra Banks who will reveal her natural hair on her talk show on September 8, 2009. Others, such as Wendy Williams, aren't quite as moved by the film and will continue to wear their weaves and wigs fabulously.
Personally, I do think that straight hair looks nice, but there is nothing wrong with those who want to go natural. I like my hair relaxed because I think it looks better, and it is easier to comb. I didn't get my first relaxer until i was 11 years old. My hair is naturally soft and only needs gentle relaxers (yes, I use kiddie relaxers). So, do I consider myself to have "good hair"? I think it's nice hair, but as for good? I don't know. Not really I guess (even though my mom has always said that I do). The fact of the matter is though is that I like my hair the way it is, and I'm happy with what I choose to do with it. If you feel the same way about your hair, whether you have a relaxer, dreads, wig, or weave, be a diva, and wear it proud because to you your hair is "good hair".
Much love!
No comments:
Post a Comment